I'm horrified at the extent of sexual violence on campuses that's coming to light. Grateful that President O'Bama has organized a task force to work on the problems, calling campuses into accountability.
Certainly the way campuses wink at the underage drinking is a big contributing factor. The other, for which there is not excuse, is the crazy thinking of male students. Look at these facts, and tell me what we have to do to get through to these 43%.
What's the risk?
• 19 percent of undergraduate women report experiencing attempted or completed sexual assault, and about 13 percent of women are stalked during each academic year.
• 95 percent of sexual attacks go unreported to law enforcement; crisis hotlines receive 10 times more reports of rape than police do.
• 43 percent of college-aged men surveyed said they have used coercive behavior, including ignoring a woman’s protests and using physical aggression, to have sex but did not see those actions as rape.
• 40 percent of rape survivors contract sexually transmitted diseases as a result of the attack, and 80 percent suffer chronic physical or psychological problems over time. Many rape survivors in college withdraw from classes.
• Rape survivors are 13 times more likely to attempt suicide than people who have never been raped.
Source: American Association of University Women