5. I'm a professional counselor with little background in theological issues myself. Do you have any special recommendations for me, to help me address spiritual issues?

Read the spiritual journey section and books and "Just for the Brave" for starters.

Since the issues are complex and often require a multi-disciplinary team approach, you may wish to consult with a pastoral counselor. In some cases, even if the client is not open to seeing a pastoral counselor alone, two counselors can see the client or couple in the same session(s) to provide a more efficient approach if the logistics can be worked out. In some cases, simply inviting in a supportive pastor for a session or two may be helpful, whether the client’s pastor or another, provided that clergy person has already demonstrated to you or your client that she or he is insightful.

Consider this an opportunity to develop skills that may grow a business for you that actually specializes in these issues. You do not have to be a person of religious faith to do that, actually. In fact, many survivors do not want a person as a counselor IF he or she claims to be a person of strong faith! If the injuries were inflicted by people who did, that may be the last category of professionals they initially will seek.

Dee Ann Miller is the author of Enlarging Boston's Spotlight: A Call for Courage, Integrity, and Institutional Transformation (2017) How Little We Knew: Collusion and Confusion with Sexual Misconduct (1993) and The Truth about Malarkey (2000)